
A picture of my sink getting a ‘facial’ – ha ha ha. Looks like one of those bedak sejuk (translated to mean 'rice beauty powder') which I used to play with when I was a little girl. Some still swear by it even until today.
Well I am very happy to let you know that the ‘sink facial’ works. The rust spots have all miraculously DISAPPEARED!!! *so happy and relieved* Only regret is that I didn’t take a before shot to show you the rust spots (was just too annoyed and stressed earlier). When DH saw the sink he was very surprised and kept saying ‘WOW’.
Couldn’t get my hands on hydrogen peroxide from my local hardware shop.
The ‘sink facial’ is made of a simple combination of cream of tartar and vinegar. Didn’t measure exact quantities even though the earlier linked articles suggested a ratio of 3:1 parts of cream of tartar to vinegar.
Just sprinkled the cream of tartar around the sink and then pour some vinegar, about 1 tbsp or so, mix it around with your hands (wear gloves) until you get a slurry white paste. Smear it around the sink, paying more attention to affected areas and then let it dry (left it overnight). Next day, sprinkled some baking soda and then wash it with vinegar (this solution is suppose to be good in clearing your pipes too). Note that baking soda mixed with vinegar will cause some chemical reaction and start fizzing like a bubble bath ball. Don’t worry, wear gloves and wash the sink with the solution rubbing harder on the affected areas – you can use a soft sponge if you wish but I didn’t. Finally, rinse with water and wipe dry with a clean towel. For the ‘final touch’ you may wish to consider rubbing down with some olive/baby oil as suggested by the earlier linked articles.
For more stubborn stains, you may have to do more than one ‘facial’. In total ran through the ritual twice (because it was just so fun, easy and was really amazed with the results)!!
My sink now really looks brand new – well technically it is!! More importantly no more rust spots…yeah! I’ve covered the tap with a plastic bag so as to discourage anyone from using the sink. And to think I was really stressed out earlier about having to replace the entire sink if I couldn’t remove the rust spots, phew!
Btw, didn’t use the imported white vinegar brand. Used locally made white vinegar instead which was a lot cheaper. Must say that while I was doing this, the vinegar smell is pretty strong, even with the windows opened and fans turned on – made me crave for fish and chips and vinegar flavoured crisp, lolz. Anyway, the vinegar smell is definitely less toxic and harsh than the metal polish!! Next time I’m sure if I used lemon, it’ll probably smell a lot more refreshing then.
So there you go, do keep a few extra bottles of vinegar, cream of tartar and baking soda as they are certainly handy in keeping your stainless steel sinks, tops and pipes looking great and clean!!
Now, I wonder if anyone can share with me on how to remove cement spots??

2 comments:
Remember this from somewhere before. Thanks for reminding me about this. Gonna use this for my clogged bathroom sink!
I have to try that!!! My sink sure needs a good facial!
Post a Comment