In an earlier post, I shared my angst with some unknown contractors who had soiled my brand new stainless steel sink, resulting (to my horror) rust-like spots.
At that point of time (probably pure blur furry) I sped to the nearest hardware shop to get the ‘strongest’ rust remover I could find. After some hard rubbings, manage to get rid of some rust spots but the more stubborn ones still remained.
The whole process was rather unbearable, mainly because of the toxic fumes emanating from the chemical even though I opened the windows and switch on the fans. Vaguely remembered that there are alternative ways (after I calmed down a little and satisfied that the rust spots were not permanent, phew) that are safer, gentle and of course more environmentally friendly way. Not surprisingly most of the ‘natural cleaners’ can be found in your cupboard. Its probably cheaper too. The bottle of Stainless Steel polisher purchased from the hardware shop set me back rm33 whilst everyday household items would probably only cost a fraction of that.
There are many great tips I picked up, to read more click on for some great articles here or here or here or here. There are many more great articles, just google ‘cleaning stainless steel sink’.
Main common household natural cleaners are:
- Vinegar: Fill undiluted white or cider vinegar in a spray bottle, spray and wipe. Apparently this is great to remove heat stains on SS cutlery or finger streaks.
- Baking or bicarbonate soda: Sprinkle a little baking soda on sponge and rub sink gently; rinse.
- Cream of tartar: Sprinkle onto sink and wipe with lemon juice. Bring new shine to discoloured pots by bring to boil 2 tbsp of cream of tartar in a quart of water for 10 min before setting aside to cool.
- Olive oil: Rub sink to remove streaks.
- Club soda: Just rub on stains.
For tougher stains, mix 3:1 parts of cream of tartar with hydrogen peroxide into a paste, rub it onto stain and let mixture sit for a few hours or until it is dry before wiping clean with a damp cloth. Alternatively, combine equal parts of bicarbonate soda with vinegar/water into a paste and rub into affected area before rinsing and drying with a clean cloth.
Never use scouring powders or steel wool as they will leave scratches on stainless steel.
Since I am still rather desperate, I’ll probably try all the methods!!! Ha ha ha This time I’ll be sure to remember to wear gloves to protect my hands from unsightly stains.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Both vinegar and baking soda I am familiar with. Good hard working members of the pantry! Good luck with your sink troubles -- hope to learn from you :)
Thanks a lot for sharing this, very helpful :o)
Tks ladies and i'll be happy to learn from u too any handy tips :)
Post a Comment