Listing

Monday, February 8, 2010

CNY cookies Part II - Kuih Bangkit

Another cookie that is hard to get right and there is so many versions, with each person prefering one texture to another - melt-in-mouth type, not sticky, not crumbly, more fragrant, etc. Whatever the outcome, I'm sure its much nicer than the commercial store bought ones :)

This is my grandpa's favourite.


Traditionally this cookie is made over charcoals. Ashamedly mine is the modern oven baked type. Traditionally made from carved wooden moulds with delicate imprints and red dye dotted for eyes. Sadly I've opted for a less tedious and faster method of using cookie cutters instead.

Picture of the traditional wooden kuih bangkit mould. Perhaps there is a special nack to dislodging the dough from the mould but sadly always face difficulty. Much easier and quicker for me to use a cookie cutter.

These are some of the plastic moulds available.


While it may not be '100% traditional' in all true sense of the word but it is made and shared with LOVE.

Amusing story to go with baking this cookie this year.... Its been a while since I made this cookie since I only make this once a year. Not entirely sure how much fresh santan (aka coconut milk) was needed, went to market and in the frenzy (so many people jostling), bought two large heavy packets, each weighing overly 1kg each!!! Upon checking the recipe, I actually only need a fraction of that amount - so if you have any suggestions on what to do with the other kg plus of coconut milk, do drop me a note!!

4 comments:

Lia Chen said...

I am following your cookies baking for CNY hehehe ... Those traditional wooden mold is very hard to get now. I remembered my grandma was using those wooden mold when I was a kid :)

javapot said...

Tks Lia Chen :) well if u are interested in the molds, can keep a look out for u. when i was a kid, we used to line up all the various animal shapes - swap and then ate them, we tried avoiding the funny deformed ones! ha ha

Happy Little Bento said...

Oh, so that's what those molds are for. I see them all over, pretty animal shapes and people too. But don't know how to use them! You are so talented!

javapot said...

hey sheri, actually not talented enuf to use the moulds, but tks anyway. to use mould - press some dough to fill mould, scrape off excess dough and then wack (literally) mould on table until dough dislodges and drops out. its not hard but if the mould is not seasoned or if dont flour mould enuf, the dough stubbornly remains inside the mould which can be so frustrating!